Your are in:
Medlock Valley Places
Clayton Vale Local Nature Reserve is a fantastic green area of reclaimed urban countryside. Originally a quiet river valley, the Vale was changed dramatically during the industrial period. A number of works were on the site, as well as a smallpox hospital and a pub. From the early 1900’s the site was used as a tip before being redeveloped in the 1980’s. The site consists of informal grasslands and wooded slopes. However there is still evidence of its industrial heritage. Steep slopes and plateaux created by the landfill and alterations to the river Medlock can be seen. An Iron Age salt road also crosses the site from Vale Street to Culcheth Lane over the brick bridge. The two ponds on the Vale contain locally scarce plant species common reed swamp and are of environmental importance. This 57 hectare (140 acres) site is a wonderful place to visit either just for a gentle walk with the dog, large grass areas for children to run about or watch the wildlife while admiring this little peace of countryside right in the heart of east Manchester.
Please visit the Friends of Clayton Vale web site www.friendsofclaytonvale.org.uk